Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Obagoal explains MLS switch

Obafemi Martins has explained the reasons behind his controversial move to Major League Soccer (MLS) outfit, Seattle Sounders.

The 28-year-old confirmed his departure from the Spanish club on March 11.

Martins’ former club, Levante also announced that striker paid his exit fee believed to be around US $4 million to facilitate his release by the team.

In his decision to move from La Liga to MLS, Martins have this to say: “I decided to do that. I decided to go to Seattle".

When asked if his not worried his move away from Europe would hamper his chances of playing for Nigeria, Martins said: “It does not matter if I am selected or not. The important thing is that I decided to move to Seattle.

“If I am selected to play in the national team, it's okay; if I am not, I stay in my team,” he submitted.

Earlier this month, head coach of the Nigeria national team, Stephen Keshi exclusively voiced his sentiments on Martins’ switch to supersport.com.

“When a player moves, it’s not really about whether he’s playing in the Champions League or any other top competition but what the player does every week,” Keshi said.

The national team trainer also revealed he supports the move made by the petite forward.

“I support whatever decision he takes and I am sure he understands the reasons he made the move; better than anyone else,” he stated.

Martins has played 39 times for Nigeria, netting 18 goals.

No comments: